Forrester Construction recently completed work on Studio Theatre located in Washington, D.C.. This $8 million project spanned over nine months and was completed on time and within budget. Forrester proudly worked with internationally recognized design group Charcoal Blue, and equally impressive local architect Hickok Cole.
Studio Theatre, located in the Logan Circle Neighborhood at 1501 14th Street NW, had three buildings that became joined together through the years as the theater expanded, totaling 53,532 square feet. The primary scope entailed renovation of the Metheny Theatre in the North Building into a black box space. This space included a completely new audio visual and theatrical lighting system, as well as a new tension wire grid. The scope also included renovation of the third-floor offices in the North Building, several restrooms, and various public space areas throughout all three buildings. This project also included extensive restorative work on the exterior facades along 14th and P Street. The building was transformed with a major pop of color along 14th Street.
Forrester Construction has considerable experience in cultural and art related projects. Notable projects in this industry include prominent D.C. theaters such as the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, and Ford’s Theatre. Forrester has also worked on several Maryland theaters including Adventure Theatre, Round House Theatre, and The Puppet Co. Theatre.
As a seasoned general contractor in the cultural market, Forrester is experienced in the intricate details and nuances that arise with these projects. Theater projects often require specific focus on technological components, artistic elements, and in many cases, proper historical preservation.
Forrester has won numerous awards for work on Ford’s Theatre including the Mayor’s Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation. Forrester’s work on Ford’s Theatre also received the Engineering News Record (ENR) Mid-Atlantic Cultural Award of Merit, the Associated General Contractors of Metro Washington (ABC Metro) Award of Merit, and Washington Building Congress (WBC) awards for metals, structured steels, finishes, and electrical systems.
Similar Forrester award winning projects include Bethesda Academy of Performing Arts Imagination Stage, the Robinson Nature Center planetarium and auditorium, The Hamilton event amphitheater, Wakefield High School black box theater and auditorium, and The Burgundy Farm Country Day School performing arts theater.
Select Relevant Awards
- 2018 AGC of DC | Burgundy Farm Country Day School Design-Build | Design-Build Award
- 2018 Design-Build Institute of America (DBIA) Burgundy Farm Country Day School | Architecture | Award of Excellence
- 2016 Design Arlington | Awards | Wakefield High School
- 2012 Washington Building Congress | The Hamilton | Electrical Lighting Systems
- 2012 NAIOP DC | MD The Hamilton | Award of Excellence
- 2012 ENR MidAtlantic Construction | The Hamilton | Best Retail/Mixed-Use Development Project & Best Project
- 2012 Associated General Contractors (AGC) of Metro Washington DC | The Hamilton | Interior Merit Award
- 2012 Associated Builders & Contractors (ABC) of Metro Washington | The Hamilton | Best Restaurant Interior Build-Out | Award of Excellence